A list of the 30 largest assisted living companies from the American Health Care Association / National Center for Assisted Living shows Brookdale Senior Living leading the way.
According to Provider, AHCA / NCAL’s print publication, the Brentwood, TN-based senior living operator has 35,126 assisted living units in 563 communities across 43 states. Sunrise Senior Living followed in second place, with 14,550 units in 30 states and 274 communities.
Rounding out the top 10 list of largest assisted living operators:
3. Five Star Senior Living — 12,112 units in 252 communities across 31 states
4. Enlivant — 9,798 units in 210 communities throughout 26 states
5. Atria Senior Living — 9,673 units in 141 communities across 21 states
6. Trilogy Health Services — 8,550 units in 127 communities in four states
7. Life Care Services — 6,243 units in 116 communities across 25 states
8. Senior Lifestyle — 7,931 units in 114 communities throughout 26 states
9. Eclipse Senior Living — 5,821 units in 102 communities across 25 states
10. Pacifica Senior Living — 2,614 units in 82 communities in 14 states
On Argentum’s 2020 list of the largest senior living providers, Brookdale also took the top spot, with Life Care Services, Holiday Retirement, Five Star Senior Living and Sunrise Senior living rounding out the top five.
On the 2020 LeadingAge Ziegler 200 lists of the nation’s largest not-for-profit multi-site senior living organizations, the company with the greatest number of assisted living units was Presbyterian Homes and Services. The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society, Bethesda Senior Living Communities, National Senior Campuses and Cassia rounded out the top five.
According to the AHCA / NCAL report, trending data revealed that assisted living communities with more advanced technology were better able to adjust to the demands for improved engagement with families amid the COVID-19 lockdown. Older-style assisted living buildings will need to make “tough decisions” on investments in technical infrastructure moving forward, said a representative of MatrixCare, sponsor of the report.
Provider indicated that it will release a Top 30 list of largest nursing home companies in July.